now and ever more

each journey begins with one step . . . a baby step

8 months and potpourri . . . August 21, 2013

Filed under: Baby,Misc Stuff — nowandevermore @ 12:45 PM
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Our little guy is 8 months old today.  I fall more in love with him everyday!  He isn’t crawling yet, but he moves himself around with his arms when he is on his tummy; in circles, backwards, forwards.  I call it his army crawl.  I think it will be soon when he figures out he will move better on his knees.    He weighed 19lbs. 1.5 ounces today and I measured him to be about 29.5 inches long.  Our car seat limit is 30 pounds or 30 inches, so he is approaching that!  I have a car seat picked out and plan on getting it at Buy Buy Baby (when they get them in stock – popular brand).  It is the same price as Amazon and I can use a 20% off coupon at Buy Buy Baby.  It is the Chicco Nextfit.  It has great ratings and I think it will fit good in the backseat.  I am ready for a car seat that I do not remove from the car.  I do love the convenience of being able to just lift the seat out when I am in a hurry or want to make a quick trip to the store and can put the car seat in the shopping cart, but at around 15 pounds for the seat and 19 pounds of baby, that is getting to be pretty heavy for me to lug around.  The convertible car seats are expensive compared to regular car seats, but it should last our little guy 4-5 years.


Now to the potpourri of my post.  I know I have been absent from here for a little bit.  Things have been a bit busy.


My parents came for a visit on August 9th.  Hubby had a concert on August 11 and he needed me to help sell CDs.  Grandma and Grandpa always love the chance to watch the baby so they didn’t mind making the trip from St. Louis.    The concert went well and I sold 21 CDs, so I was glad to be able to help.  I hate being away from our little guy, but it was also good to get out of the house. 🙂  I was going to be gone for about 6 hours, so I thought I would take along my manual pump and pump once or twice since I typically feed the little guy.  The show started at 3, so once the lobby was empty I headed to the bathroom.  I thought that would be the easiest place.  Of course they don’t have any chairs, so I proceeded to a stall.  I move around a bit and of course the automatic flusher starts to do its thing.  UGH!  So I try to stand still and pump.  This is not going to work, so I decide to slowly sit down.  Thankfully it did not go off and I was able to pump in peace.  Once done I stand up and the toilet flushes a few more times while I am getting myself presentable.  Now I can go and listen to a few songs before intermission.

Once intermission is over I figure I will pump once more and then catch the end of the show and be able to man my post.  One of the ladies who works at the theatre came out into the lobby just as I was about to head to the bathroom again.  We chit-chat and she goes down the hall.  I think she is going to the bathroom, so I decide to wait.  I haven’t done a lot of nursing in public (NIP) and even though it is a manual pump, there is still a little noise to it.  So 5 minutes pass and no sign of her.  I think, maybe she went past the restroom and into an office.  So I go in and of course I can tell she is still in there.  Oh well, I head back to my stall at the end of the row.  I get my things ready again and prepare to pump.  I hear her finish up and walk out and then the smell hits me.  I do understand it is a bathroom and that is the purpose, but geesh!  Now I wish I had somewhere else to pump.  LOL  Ten minutes later and I am ready to leave!  And of course the toilet has flushed about 8 times while I was in there.  I am able to catch the last 2 songs of hubby’s concert and then get out to the lobby to catch the patrons as they leave.  Overall, it was a great time.  It wasn’t the first time I have pumped/fed Lil’ Pete in the bathroom, but it is times like this when I wish there were “family” bathrooms everywhere; a nice room all to oneself.

Then of course after everyone left, I gathered the CDs and headed to meet up with hubby in the theatre.  We loaded the cars and said our goodbyes.  He had another gig and I was going back home.  Of course I missed my entrance on to the highway and had to get the Garmin out.  Thankfully it wasn’t too difficult to find my way back, but my darn hormones were in full force (started yet another period just 3 days later) and I was crying because I felt like an idiot for missing my turn and also because I just wanted to get back home to my little guy.  When I got home, all was well, as I knew it would be.


So I am trying to teach our little guy the word “no.”  Babies should know what this means by this time.  I will be breast-feeding him and he will start to slap my breast.  I take his hand in mind and say “no,” sternly and with a straight face, but not yelling.  You know what this little stinker does?  He gets a big grin on his face and laughs.  Seriously?  This guy is going to be trouble!  LOL  Every time I say no, he laughs.  So I just keep trying.  Maybe he will get it that he isn’t supposed to hit.  Mind you it isn’t hard (sounds worse than it is), I just want him to know not to do that. 🙂


On July 23rd, Lil Pete said “da da.”  Well actually it was more like ” da da da da da da da.”  It was so cute!  It was like he just figured something out.  He would say it in his exersaucer, when we put him down for naps and also in the middle of the night when he would wake up.  I would have loved to hear him say “ma ma” and I keep trying to get him to say it, but it is easier for babies to say “da da”.  I don’t think he has quite put together that “da da” actually goes with his dad, but I know what will come soon.  I just hope he says “ma ma” before “Buddy.”  🙂


He has no teeth yet!  I really can’t believe not one has started to even pop through the gum.  He drools so much!  I keep bibs on him all day.  I go through about 3 each day.  He has been teething for months now.  I can’t say I am too disappointed.  I have heard horror stories of babies getting teeth and then biting down on mom when they breast feed, even drawing blood.  So if he wants to go a couple of more months without teeth, I can deal with that.  We see the doctor October 7, so if he doesn’t have any by then, we can ask what is going on or if we need to worry.


This past weekend hubby had to travel to New Jersey for 2 concerts.  He took Spirit Airlines from O’Hare Airport and they only have one flight out to Atlantic City and one flight back.  Friday, we all got up at 4am so I could drive him.  Lil’ Pete didn’t fuss at all.  I fed him when I got him up.  I really hoped he would sleep in the car, but he did not.  We had a good weekend.  Hubby was able to call Friday night and sing to the little guy as I put him to bed (he does this when he is home and not working).  I did get some stuff done while he was gone.  My area in the home office we share was in desperate need of some organizing.   Now the goal is to keep it this way!  His shows were Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.  Then he has to wait until 5pm Monday to catch his flight back home.  We were all so glad to have him back.   They want him back again next year (4th year) and we talked about maybe taking a little family trip this time.  Driving out there and spending a couple of extra days.  I think it will be fun and it can be little guy’s first time at the beach!  We will see how it all works out.


Sleep has been going ok.  He still fusses and cries a little when he goes down for bed or for naps.  The time at bedtime ranges from less than 5 minutes to almost an hour.  Typically it is around 20-30 minutes.  I really hope this doesn’t last too much longer.  He sleeps pretty well.  Sometimes he will wake up once over night around 2:30, but we let him be and he goes back to sleep or is quiet after about 5 minutes.  Then he wakes at around 5:30-6:30 and I go in and feed him as it has been about 10 hours since he ate.  I can put him back down and he will fall back to sleep after about 30 or so minutes and sleep maybe until 9-9:30.Napping is hit and miss.  Sometimes he will do nap 1 for 1.5 hours and then subsequent naps of 45 min or 30 minutes.  Other days all 3 naps are 30 minutes.  And then there are those days when naps suck!  Today is one of those days!  I heard him stirring at 7am ( I had fed him at 5am).  So I got him and changed him and fed him and held him and then put him back down at 8am.  He wanted no part of a nap (after fussing on and off for over an hour).  I got him up and tried again at 10am.  After 40 minutes he was asleep.  He cried a lot before this and I know it was because he was over tired.  He slept for 40 minutes.  I will be trying to get him down for another nap soon.  Hopefully it will be successful.

I have read that there is a sleep regression around months 8-10 and also what they call Wonder Weeks around week 34 which is where we are at right now.  So this may just be one of those fussy periods.  I take it all with a grain of salt as all babies are different.  Hopefully he can get back to sleeping better soon!


Ok, I think that about catches you up on everything that has been going on.  At least that is all I can think of at the moment.  If I think of anything else I may have missed I will post again.  I am also hoping to get back to my weekly postings next week.

Thanks for reading!


2 Responses to “8 months and potpourri . . .”

  1. katie Says:

    Hey girl – I have the Chicco Next Fit (Danni will be 8 months on the 27th so just a couple of weeks behind you). I dont really like it to be honest. It has these strap pads that are huge and hot. Dont know if I should cut them off? Would it compromise the safetly of the seat? It’s also hard to get her in and out of it. And I’m constantly digging for the clasps. You may want to see if there are other options?

    Also, no teeth here. I didnt cut teeth until I was 13 months old… and I’m fine and my teeth were fine!

    • Thanks. We did try the car seat in the car and it fit pretty well. I don’t have a lot of room behind the passenger seat so I am limited.

      At least lil pete isn’t the only one without teeth! LOL Hey I have been looking at your blog for more updates on Danni. Hope you post more soon! I enjoy reading them! Thanks for stopping by!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s