now and ever more

each journey begins with one step . . . a baby step

birth story . . . January 4, 2013

Filed under: Baby — nowandevermore @ 8:06 PM
Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 weeks.  Our baby is already 2 weeks old.  I can’t believe it.  There were days during the pregnancy that I could not believe I was carrying a baby and even now I still can’t believe he is here.  It was such a tough journey and now he is here.  I finally have some time to sit down and share my story.  We will see how much I can get done before I need to step away.

011ps He loves having his hands up.  He did this a lot while we had the ultrasounds.

So on Friday, December 21 I had my appointment at the OB’s office for an NST.  They had been going well so I didn’t think this would be any different.  The baby’s heart rate took a little dip but came back up and then was fine.  It had done this before, but with the upcoming holiday and since I was getting close, the doctor wanted to be sure everything was still ok.  So they did another ultrasound and things looked great.  Also he was no longer in the breech position, he was now transverse.  Still required a c-section, but it looked like he might be on his way down.

Doctor wanted to be cautious and wanted me monitored later that afternoon and then again Monday.  Because of the holiday, I would have to go to the hospital for this.  So at 1:30pm, I drove myself to the hospital.  Hubby had to work and I figured I would be there for a couple of hours and head back home.  Was I wrong!

During the time I was there the baby’s heart rate took a few more dips.  Nothing dangerous, but enough to cause concern.  The nurse popped in and said I bet the doctor is going to deliver this baby tonight.  That really pissed me off.  This was not my plan.  I still had things to do.  Hubby had to work all weekend out-of-town and this was my weekend to get everything finished, cleaned and prepped for the arrival on the 2nd, which was the planned c-section.  Then the nurse came back in at about 4:30pm and said that the doctor wanted to deliver this baby that night.  Cue the waterworks.

I called hubby and told him and it really shocked him.  We both thought things would be fine and I would already be back home.  But he was able to calm my fears and let me know that he would be there!  Thankfully they did not have to rush me to surgery, so I told them hubby would not make it until about 8:30 or 9pm and the doc said, that is fine, they had 3 other ladies who they needed to deliver before me.  Whew!  Hubby could not miss this!

I then called my mom.  They were going to be here for the delivery anyway, so I let them know it was happening and they said they would drive up that night.  I had left our poor dog crated since 1:30pm and knew he must have to go out and he hadn’t eaten dinner yet.  My parents were able to get to our house by 10:00pm (driving from St. Louis) and Buddy was fine.

So I sat in my triage room waiting for hubby.  He showed up before 9pm all decked out in his tux. 🙂  A little before 10pm the nurse came in and told hubby to get changed into his scrubs.  It was happening!

I got up, unhooked from the monitors and we all walked to the operating room.  Hubby was to wait outside until I got my spinal and then they would bring him in.  I got into the room.  Saw the table and started to get nervous.  Ok I was already nervous, but I started to get really nervous.  They had me sit down on the table to get ready for the spinal.  The nurse was standing in front of me holding my hands and I was told to hunch over and push my lower back out.  They cleaned the area and then gave me a shot to numb it.  That hurt.  I actually moved some as it was painful and started to cry and apologize for moving and I remember telling the nurse, through my tears that I was very scared.  She was very nice to me through it.  Once that shot was done, I did not feel the actual needle go into my spine at all!  Thank GOD!  Next thing I know they said, ok lie down on the table.

I was face up and my arms were straight out to my side on supports.  They started to administer the medicine and my legs got warm and started to tingle.  Things seemed to happen pretty fast.  They got the drape up so that all I could see was down to my chest.  Hubby was brought into the room and got to sit on a chair by my head and held my hand the entire time.

I could feel more and more of my lower body get numb.  Then before long, the doctor was there and he asked if I could feel anything.  My guess is that he was poking me with a sharp object, but I felt nothing.  Then it began.  They cleaned my entire belly with an antiseptic and waited 3 minutes for it to dry.  I remember then specifically stating that.  Then I guess they started to cut me open.  Obviously I do not know what is going on.  I guess I could have asked, but I was still a ball of nerves and kept quiet.  I think they must have been cauterizing the wound as they were cutting.  I could smell something burning.  I assume it was me.  yuck!  I felt a lot of pressure.  Then they broke the water.  I could hear it, but not feel it.

More pressure.  They were pushing at the top of my belly down.  I am sure they were manipulating the baby to get him out.  They said they had to use the vacuum on him to get his head out.  Then he was out at 10:30pm.  I sobbed a little, but waited to hear.  Hear that beautiful cry.  It seemed like an eternity.  Then hubby said he could see him on the table and he had the white stuff on him (vernix).  Then all of a sudden he cried!  I burst into more tears.  That was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard.  Hubby and I both cried as our baby cried.  He was out and ok!  Three years, 37 weeks and 2 days in the making and he was finally here!

They cleaned him up and wrapped him in the blanket with his little hat.  Then they brought him over to us.  What a beautiful site.  I kissed him on the forehead and then hubby did the same.  I kissed hubby and then they were gone.  Hubby accompanied Lil Pete to the nursery, doc “delivered” the placenta and I was stapled up (29 of them).

It was kind of funny.  The doctor was talking to me while he was closing the incision.  Asking about hubby’s work, etc.  It was all kind of odd.  Then I was wheeled into the recovery room.  I was still not able to see our little guy, but hubby came in and kept me company.  I had to be in recovery a little longer than typical.  They were giving me pain meds and they were not kicking in.  I got several doses.  I hated being in there because that meant more time away from the baby.  Finally I was on my way to my room.

We stopped at the nursery and I got to see our guy for the 2nd time, through the window.  Then I got to my room.  Hubby was asked to stay outside, while the nurses got me settled.  I was given the option for them to help me move onto the bed from the gurney, or for me to slide myself.  I slid myself.  It was tough, but not too terrible.

Then a few minutes later our baby joined us.  It was 2am but I was not tired.  I got to hold him for the first time and tried to breastfeed.  It was the perfect way to end the day, or I guess start the next day.  🙂  Hubby left about 2:45am as he had to travel to Dubuque the next day.  It was tough not having him with me at the hospital for the rest of our stay, but he is self-employed and that is how we pay the bills.

So my stay pretty much was time with the baby and my mom would visit me each day.  We purposely did not call and tell people that the baby was here.  Everything happened so fast and unexpectedly, that I think it would have been too overwhelming to have visitors.  So we waited until I got home to post to Facebook and send emails.

On Saturday night, a little after 10pm.  The nurse came in and took Lil Pete to have a bath and get his Hepatitis B Vaccine.  It was weird not having him in the room.  The hospital believes in having the baby in the room with mom at all times, unless medically necessary to be in the nursery or otherwise.  So I loved it.  And when they brought him back I cried a little again because I had missed him so much.  As you can tell I was just a ball of emotions ( and still am).

On Sunday he had his circumcision.  The nurse told me, when they brought him back, that he did not fuss at all until she put him back in the bassinet.  What a trooper.  Then later, in the room, he had his hearing tested.  They put some electronic probes on him and then the little ear phones and he did so well!  They play these clicks in his ears and the probes report back how the brain reacts to the sound.  He passed with flying colors!  The technician thanked me for helping to keep his fussing to a minimum.  She said I was the first Mom to have done that and it helped a lot.  Not sure why other Mom’s would not help, but oh well.  Seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Then hubby got back from Dubuque Sunday evening and made it to the hospital around 8pm.  I found out earlier in the day that I was going to be discharged.  Again I had to tell them that it had to wait until hubby made it to the hospital.  (He had to have my mom Drive him since my car, with the car seat, was parked in the hospital garage.)

The nurses had told me that they were hoping to close the 3rd floor for the holiday.  Labor and delivery and maternity is on the second floor.  They do have some overflow rooms on the third floor, which is where I was.  There were not many of us and if I had not been let go by the doctor, they would have moved me down to the 2nd floor.  So I was torn.  Not sure I was ready (mentally) to leave and also wanting to just be at home with my family.

So the doctor said I could go and that was ok.  I did feel a little bit rushed and plan on communicating that back to the hospital on the survey I received in the mail, but glad to be going home!  I think we got out of there around 9:30pm or so and headed home.

We got home and off started the adventure.

I will post about that next.

All in all it was not a bad experience.  Not what I had planned but he is here and healthy and that is the most important part.  I really wanted to experience giving birth vaginally, but things don’t always work out the way we hoped.  Like they say, You plan and God laughs.  🙂

I don’t feel cheated out of the experience.  I would have liked to have seem him come out of me, to have held him the moment he arrived and to have had the opportunity to bond with him immediately.  But it did not happen.  And I am sad about that.  But we have been bonding ever since and I don’t think having him the way I did hurt that bond.  At least that is how I feel about it.

Now, off to tend to the little guy.

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!


8 Responses to “birth story . . .”

  1. all I have to say is YOU HAVE A BABY!!!! I Can’t believe it!!!!! YAY YAy YAy…. nothing ever goes as planned, especially with a newborn.. So excited for you.. Now enjoy your time with hubby and give my nephew lots of love and hugs

  2. This is such a beautiful story and brings tears to my eyes! So thankful you have your sweet Lil Pete happy, healthy and home in your arms!

  3. Princess Says:

    Melissa, your c/s story reminded me of mine too, thx you for writing it so eloquently. Peter arriving in a tux made me lol! I’ve said it many times, but huge congrats on lil Peter. He is so precious and already has the most loving parents! Hope you’re healing up nicely and Buddy’s being a good big brother! Xo!

  4. storkchaser Says:

    Congrats. How crazzzzzzy! But the important thing is that your little man is home, he is healthy and your husband was there. I couldn’t be more happy for you.

    PS-he’s beautiful!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s