now and ever more

each journey begins with one step . . . a baby step

sunday at the ER . . . May 28, 2012

Filed under: Pregnancy — nowandevermore @ 10:29 AM
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

The title says it all.  But let me start at the beginning.  Warning: TMI post today

As you know I have been having issues with being “blocked up.”  Sunday it got even worse.  I tried about 3 times in the morning to go and nothing would come out.  I could feel it right there and it would not budge.  The past 2 nights I had taken 3 Colace pills and they did nothing for me.  The after 2 times of trying I decided to try another Fleet Enema.  It was painful and still nothing would move.  At this point I told hubby that I needed to go to the ER.  I was in so much pain the entire ride over.  We walk in and the lady that checks you in had me sit in a wheelchair, which I had to do sideways because of the pain.  There were people waiting in the ER waiting room and I just prayed I would not have to wait that long.  They had 2 Triage rooms where you answer questions about your condition and then they determine your place in line I guess based on severity of your symptoms, etc.  They were both full, but once the lady was done in Triage Room 2 I was wheeled in.  I answered the questions through the pain and told her on a scale of 1-10 I was at a 10.  After that I was wheeled to an ER room and given a gown and told to get on the gurney.  I waited for almost 20-30 minutes, I think, for someone to come in to see me.  All the while I was doing all I could not to pass out and scream from the pain.

At this time I was also having trouble peeing.  So the first thing I got was a catheter.  I had this done one other time and it was pretty quickly put in.  However, the nurse was having trouble and talk about pain!  She must have tried about 5 times before another nurse got it in.  All the while they were telling me to relax.  Really???  How in the hell am I supposed to relax when I am in this much pain already and you are causing more.

So once that was done I got an IV and some pain medication.  The pain meds did not really relieve that much pain, it just made me feel like I was going to pass out.  Then the doctor came in and I told him my issue and of course he had to see for himself.  So in went the finger and yes he concurred that I had a blockage right at the opening.  Now comes the part I will NEVER forget!!!  And sorry if this grosses anyone out.  But he had to stick his finger back in and dig out the part that was impacted.  The pain was unbearable!  He actually told me to try to be more quiet with my moans of pain.  Excuse me!  So he was able to clean out some and then let me rest.  They brought in a portable toilet for me to sit on and see if I could pass some on my own.  I welcomed the opportunity.  And thankfully I was able to.  I felt a LOT of relief.  Such a difference over the past few days.

I got back into the gurney and rested some more.  They then moved me to another room in the ER, this one had a private bathroom.  The nurse removed the catheter and then asked me if I wanted to try an enema at the hospital or one at home.  I said I would try one there since I wanted to make sure everything was ok.  That was still painful, but less painful than what the doc did to me.   I still felt like I might have a little blockage so the doctor came back in and checked.  He could not feel anything so no more torture treatment.  Whew!  I asked if I was going to get an ultrasound to check on the baby.  He said it was up to me and I said yes!

So another nurse brought in 2 cups of water, about 24 ounces each and said drink up.  I was confused and told her I thought I was getting a trans-vaginal one and she said she was told to bring me water.  Not helpful.   So about an hour later my bladder was full and they wheeled me down to the ultrasound room.  The technician did a regular u/s which is why I needed a full bladder to keep it out-of-the-way.  I asked if she could tell me if everything looked ok and her answer . . . we aren’t allowed to give results.  I started crying.  I knew my body had been in so much pain and trauma the last few days and my main concern was the baby.

Once she was done with that she said she wanted to do a trans-vaginal one as well, so I had to empty my bladder.  Now mind you I had had the catheter in and had the nurse known that I was having the u/s she would have left it in, but alas it was taken out.  So because of the trouble she had getting it in, in the first place, I now had some pain when I peed.  I tried my best to empty as much of the bladder that I could and got up on the table.  Then the technician tells me to insert the probe myself.  WHAT???  I had never done that before.  She said they ask the patient so it isn’t painful for them.   ok…this was new.  So I inserted it and she said my bladder was still too full!  UGH!!!  Out with the probe and back to the bathroom.  Back on the table, insert the probe and finally the bladder was empty enough.

So I asked her again.  “Can you at least tell me if you see a heartbeat?”  And again she says, “we are not allowed to give results.”  I started crying again.  I could not believe it.  She kept probing around for a long time and clicking buttons and then I heard  about a second of what sounded like a heartbeat.  I prayed that is what it was.  I do know that when I had the u/s done after the ovarian cyst ruptured there is a similar sound when they check blood flow.  So I wasn’t sure what it was, but prayed it was the heartbeat.

So after that I was wheeled back to my room in the ER and was left to wait for the results.  A half hour passed and nothing.  10 more minutes and nothing and I was being wheeled out into the hall.  Yes they needed to room for another patient and I had to now be in the hall.  About 20 minutes later, the nurse came up and said that I was being discharged.  I was still waiting on the doctor for the results, but asked her if everything was ok with the baby and she said yes.  What a relief and then more tears!  So she took the IVF out and the doc came over and said everything looked good.  The baby was measuring 7 weeks 2 days.  I told him that on Friday it was 7 weeks, 3 days and he said that was ok.  Then the more I thought about it, I realized that the hospital’s equipment was probably better than what my doctor’s office has as far as clarity and also the hospital has u/s technicians and the doc’s office has the nurse do the test.  So there was probably just a minor error on the measurement.  Still that is only 2 days behind where I am so I know that is ok.

So after that I got dressed and I was on my way home.  I feel so much better.  I called the nurse on call last night and pretty much told her I would not take Zofran again and that I needed a new prescription for something that will NOT constipate me.  About an hour later, she called back and the doctor prescribed me Phenergan Suppositories for nausea.  I am headed out shortly to get them.   I haven’t taken anything since yesterday morning and am starting to feel some nausea again.  I really hope that this helps and does not cause any issues and that the nausea goes away soon!  And I think I pulled some back muscles on the right side from holding on the bars on the side of the gurney when the doctor was doing his thing.  Talk about a death grip!

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! 🙂

Thanks for reading.


14 Responses to “sunday at the ER . . .”

  1. Andrea Says:

    Omg that sounds horrible! I’m so sorry you had to go through all of that. Glad you are feeling better now though. So happy everything is good with baby! Take it easy!

  2. Lori Says:

    Oh Mel! Been there and done that!!! You really need a daily dose of Fiber so this won’t hapoen again! My constipation was due to the prenatal vitamins every time, so I always took a Fibercon pill every morning with my vitamin. It helped immensely!!! I also made sure to increase my “roughage” and ate a lot more spinach and greens. Hopefully your second trimester will be less “eventful”! But that baby sounds tough and is handling everything great!!!

  3. veetamia Says:

    It sounds like you had it really rough!! But I’m glad you and the baby are ok 🙂 After both surgeries the bathroom situation was pretty awful and I resorted to eating (right after waking up) one orange (or two depending on the size) and 1-2 plums and a glass of water – one hr later = utter bliss!

  4. Be careful with phenergan it can make you very drowsy. It also can constipate as well. So sorry about the disimpaction. As an ER nurse I personally have had to do that on patients….I felt so bad…..

    I am glad you are okay..about the US it is standard for the tech to ask you to insert it….kind of less intrusive that way…A tech will be fired totally without exception if they give you or tell you anything….though usually they can find a way to reassure you…..

    I can not get the lab tech to tell me anything about myself and I am a nurse that works there.

    That dang iron makes you so constipated too….stay away from thi ga that bind you up… I love you and am prayiing for you…..the things you are enduring for this beautiful baby!!!

    Much love…


    • I got the Phenergan, but am going to try to hold off on taking it. I also bought some ginger gum that they had at Walgreens. Trying to not think about the nausea too much. The phenergan will be a last resort for me. It was weird about the u/s. I was there last year and the technician put it in, so maybe they changed their policy. Maybe the tech did let me hear the heartbeat for just a second to reassure me. 🙂

      • I bought something for you today !!!!! They have something called pregnancy pops a lot of people really did well with. I hate for you to be nauseous. Are you sure it was the Zofran that is causing the constipation…did you start taking more Iron? I know you don’t want to ask on face book yet ..maybe you can go to a website for expecting moms and ask them what worked for them. As a Cfer I get obstructions all the time…I take Miralax, I HAVE NO IDEA if it is safe for you but it works great for me….

        I love you….

  5. I would get the names the the nurses and doctors and go to the higher up and keep pursing it till they lost there jobs that complete bull crap what they did to you,I hope your doing okay know

  6. Oh, you poor thing! I’m sorry the procedure was so painful, and they made you wait so ridiculously long for the results of the u/s! I’m glad you were able to get some relief, and that everything is ok with the baby. 🙂 Your title had me worried!

  7. I’m so glad you’re okay and that you were able to get things moving again. Pregnancy constipation is absolutely miserable…probably my least favourite symptom. Have you tried eating kiwis? They seem to keep things moving for me (thank God). Hopefully it was just connected to your medication, and now that it’s changed you’ll be feeling much better. 🙂

  8. Aiza Says:

    Oh dear. So sorry you had to go through that Melissa. I’ve been there and have had a finger stuck in me too so I know how horrifying that is. Thank God the baby is ok

  9. taylor Says:

    I cannot believe he asked you quiet down? That makes me so angry. I am, however, glad you are feeling better. What at terrible ordeal.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s